Guide: TikTok for musicians
TikTok is the new social network everyone is using and talking about right now. It features short snackable videos with people dancing and lip-syncing. You probably already have heard about it, but what a lot of people do not realize is that TikTok holds enormous power to make songs and musicians go viral in a very short period of time.
Can TikTok make Musicians famous?
The answer is yes! Singers like Lil Nas X, Lizzo, bbno$ all are great examples of how they got famous thanks to TikTok. The best part is that any musician has a chance to replicate this success, and this is precisely what we will show you in this TikTok guide.
What makes TikTok great for music promotion?
Music is the cornerstone of TikTok content.
TikTok, in its core, is built around two main elements: Music and Video. Tiktok content is driven around creating snackable videos with music, in scale. Tiktok videos tend to be approximately 15 seconds long (maximum upload length is 1 minute) and each user on average uploads 2-3 videos per day, meaning that the content distribution is very dynamic, compared to other platforms. On TikTok, everyone can upload their songs, or create videos with already uploaded songs from Tiktok’s song library.
Record Labels are scouting TikTok.
With the recent success on TikTok, multiple more prominent record labels are closely watching TikTok and TikTok trends charts for the new undiscovered talent.
GenZ’s identifies music trends.
Generation Z is fastly becoming the new generation in power, and TikTok is their social media channel of choice. It is the GenZ’s that finds the latest music and creates massive hype around it on TikTok.
What Is trending on TikTok gets trending elsewhere.
If your song gets trending on TikTok it is very likely it will share the success across other streaming platforms as well. Artists like Lil Nas X experienced that his song went up on Spotify, YouTube, Soundcloud and even was noticed by Grammy awards. All started with just a TikTok challenge.
Songs on TikTok go viral.
TikTok has all the tools necessary to make your song viral. The platform features accessible and engaging content sharing options that are heavily used by TikTokers: Challenges, duets, reactions, video sahríng across multiple platforms and others.
TikTok is FREE
TikTok is free to use as a platform for anyone, and TikTok is not covered with advertisements as it is on other popular social media platforms. This allows anyone to register and start creating and sharing content.
TikTok values authenticity
TikTok users value authenticity and creativity. This is great for upcoming artists who want to be themselves. Can’t afford expensive studio equipment, You don’t need that on TikTok.
Upload your old songs on TikTok
Have an old track you published years ago? Tiktok is not limiting users from uploading only new songs in the Tiktok songs library; in fact, you can upload your old songs as well.
TikTok User base is Growing
Just recently TikTok hit 2 billion app downloads, and there is no sign that this could slow down. While the user base is growing, the TikTok creator and consumer ratio remain high. Organic reach is still massive on TikTok.
TikTok for musicians, first steps.
Make a profile on TikTok
If you have a TikTok profile already, skip to the next step.
Start with signing up on TikTok. Fill in your profile details, and your BIO and profile picture. Shoot or upload a couple of videos, where you tell your audience who you are and what music you make.
Create your audience, build followers, and engage with the community. Once your Tiktok Musician profile reaches 1000 followers, you will be able to go LIVE and ad Link to your bio.
Being active and cross-promoting on other social media platforms and streaming platforms will definitely help succeed faster on TikTok.
How do I get my music on TikTok?
Step by step guide
This is a simple ten-step Do It Yourself process for TikTok musicians to upload their songs on TikTok.
- Choose a song you would like to get on TikTok.
- Go and Record a TikTok video as you usually would.
- Edit TikTok video with any video editor that allows you to add music. For example, adobe premiere pro, FilmoraGo app etc.
- Add your song and adjust the starting point of the sound in the editor.
- Alternatively, you can shoot and edit TikTok video with the music playing in the background, but keep in mind that the music quality will not be the best.
- Go To TikTok and upload an edited video with the sound.
- Write a caption, use relevant hashtags, choose the cover photo and post it!
- Go to your profile, and select the video you just uploaded.
- Press on the Sound Icon on the lower right corner
- Edit Sounds name to your correct song name.
You can upload a maximum of 60-second long video; your soundtrack is as long as your video.
If your video Is 15 second long, your soundtrack will be 15 seconds
How to choose Song for TikTok?
If you have been a musician for a while, then you must have collected a decent library of songs. But how to choose the best songs to upload for TikTok?
- Experiment with songs you upload and let the users decide what they like.
- Don’t get attached to your favourite song
- Start with songs that are easy to dance or lip-sync
How To Make Songs Go Viral on TikTok?
Now that you have your profile created and first videos with songs uploaded are the time to make them go viral. There are several ways and combinations on how to do, and that can change upon personal preferences.
For the song to go viral on TikTok, it must hit Tiktok’s Trending page.
Get TikTok Music on TikTok trending page For Free:
Getting a musician song viral for free is possible on TikTok. It will require a bit more work and luck from the musician, but done correctly; it has all the opportunities.
- Create a dance with your song. Do it yourself, ask your fans or ask TikTok influencers.
- Use trending hashtags with your video and song.
- Promote your song to your fans, friends and TikTok influencers. Challenge them to recreate the dance.
- Get users to make Duet with your song.
- Promote your song with your existing fans on other platforms.
- Track your Songs Performance with Pentos TikTok Music analytics tool
Make TikTok songs viral with influencers.
Becoming a famous TikTok musician starts with Involving TikTok influencers. The partnership with influencers will increase chances of TikTok songs, hitting trending pages and going viral. TikTok influencers will be necessary as trend starters.
TikTok Influencers are in high demand now, but never fewer ones are still very affordable. The average prices for TikTok influencers are twice as low as similar Instagram influencers.
- Give influencers creative freedom to create dances, challenges and duets with your song.
- Activate multiple influencers in different tiers.
- Partnering with TikTok influencers, you are accessing their audience.
- Track influencers and song performance. Pentos has excellent tools for that.
How to find the right TikTok influencers for your song?
Finding the right TikTok influencers to promote your song is crucial. Not all musicians or record labels have worked with influencers before. Follow our recommended guidelines to maximize the influencer search.
- Go on trending page find ones you like and are relevant to your TikTok song
- Search under hashtags relevant to your music, spot influencers there
- Keep in mind the language of your song and location of Influencer.
- Hire TikTok influencers that have previously made viral videos
- Choose TikTok influencers that are active community members.
- Contact - Via DM, IG, or their email.
- Before giving money offer them your song and ask for free video
- Make duet, with influencers, or with your loyal fans.
Launch TikTok Song campaign
Once you have found and teamed up with influencers, it is time to launch your campaign.
Track TikTok song performance
To precisely evaluate your TikTok music campaigns ROI, it is crucial to set up tracking. Follow on how many user-generated videos have been created, a number of likes and shares collected.
Keep a close look also on your other social media accounts and streaming platforms, as users might start to look up for newly discovered TikTok musicians on other platforms.
Repeat success with TikTok songs
We at Pentos have seen how successful TikTok is for musicians after the first campaign commonly follows a few more. Activating more campaigns and promoting other songs via TikTok second time will be more comfortable. Use an already established network of TikTokers, or experiment with new ones.
TikTok recently launched a program to help new artists. The program promises to expose independent artists to the music industry leaders and influential record labels.
The TikTok spotlight program was first launched in Japan and Korea and first started on 5th April 2020.
With this experiment, TikTok is clearly notifying the world about how serious is the platform in terms of disrupting the music industry.
Want to track your songs? Start your 14-day free trial with Pentos and learn how you can make your next song a viral sensation.